What’s in a name? The village of Platt was one of a group of hamlets brought together when the parish was created in 1846. Other areas included were Wrotham Heath, Crouch, Basted and Comp. When the church was built, it was dedicated to St Mary the Virgin. Over time, the full name of the church was shortened to St Mary’s, or St Mary’s, Platt to distinguish it from the many other St Mary’s churches. It is, perhaps, a mark of the central role of the church within the village that the village itself has come to adopt the name of St Mary’s Platt. Although shown as Platt on most maps, the village sign erected by the Council bears the full name ‘St Mary’s Platt’.
Once a year the Village News carries an Information Supplement “The Platt Year Book”, which contains much more information on village activities and contacts. If you need a copy, there are more booklets in the church porch (the church is open most days from approx 9.00am until 4.30pm). Alternatively you can contact Jane Sankey on 01732 883212 or Lucilla Mackay on 01732 882045, or view a pdf version at the Village News Articles page.
The map shows the boundary of the civil parish of Platt (courtesy of A Vision of History Through Time website). This differs in places from the boundary of the ecclesiastical parish of St Mary’s Platt, and there are a few residents who find themselves in different ecclestiastic and civil parishes. Nevertheless it gives a reasonable idea of the extent of the community which the church serves.
The Platt Parish Council maintains a website with some information about our community.
Platt War Memorial Hall
Erected to commemorate the fallen of the Great War in 1922, Platt Memorial Hall has been a valuable facility for community use ever since.
In September 2016, a new hall was opened which provides a large hall, a committee room, a very-well equipped kitchen and toilet facilities. It is used regularly by local groups as well as being a popular party venue for private celebrations and for more public occasions.
- Platt Memorial Hall booking information.
- Women’s Institute held at the Memorial Hall.
- Badminton Clubs held at the Memorial Hall.
- Short Mat Bowling Clubs held at the Memorial Hall.
- Platt and District Society held at the Memorial Hall.
- Platt Stitchers.
For information about the above groups, please contact Barry Baker
The community is delighted that, through the hard work of many volunteers, Platt can boast most of the uniformed groups within the scouting and guiding movement – Rainbows, Brownies, Beavers, Cubs and Scouts. Most of the groups meet at the scout headquarters, the Centenary Hall built in 2007, at Stonehouse Field.
Stonehouse Field also plays host to both football clubs and Cricket Clubs including:
The church Garden Room annex was built in 1990 and provides a meeting room, used for coffee after the 10:30am service on Sunday mornings, church meetings, groups and activities as well as being booked by non-church groups such as the WITunes Choir (contact Barbara Harris on 01732 780711) and the National Childbirth Trust. If you are interested in hiring the Garden Room contact Ann Baker on 01732 882519.